Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Sewing while sweating = not a good idea

On Tuesdays I go into work at either 11 a.m. or noon, and every week, I tell myself I'm going to do something useful during that extra time in the morning.

Today was one of those few times I've actually come through on that promise. I almost finished sewing my 'Route 66' skirt (you'll see what that means when I post a picture later - or when I figure out how to post one, whichever comes first). I had to stop when I realized I didn't have the necessary 7" zipper to finish things up.

So I decided to start on my next project (throwing the skirt into the pile of 'almost finisheds' that's quickly growing). I'm making a dress from a pattern I've already sewn three times before. However, I had the exact amount of fabric the pattern called for, which took me out of the comfortable extra half yard buffer zone I usually try to afford myself. So it took some time trying to figure out how to lay out all the pattern pieces in a way that fit (and since this fabric also had random appliques on it, there was some extra strategic positioning involved).

All this activity was done in my 80-degree apartment. My fiance had one bad experience with the electric bill the first time we used the AC two years ago and now he prefers not to use it (since I'm too poor to help him out with that, he gets to call the shots). Now that summer is officially here in Maryland, I drive home from work (in a car that recently lost its AC capabilities) and just sweat all night.

As for running, I told myself I would only sew for a couple of hours and then go for a run or do one of my pilates/yoga DVDs, but that didn't happen. I finished cutting out my pattern and had two pieces of carrot cake for breakfast and was out the door (after a cold shower, of course).

In two days, it will be one month until the wedding. How I'm going to be able to lose 10 pounds and finish my sewing before that date is beyond me. Especially with all the yummy treats I can now make since a KitchenAid mixer has recently come into my possession (bridal shower gift).

No comments: