Friday, June 22, 2007

Making progress

Between last night and this morning (stupid birds outside wake me up earlier than I'd like) I have nearly finished my rehearsal dinner dress (I wish I had a better name for it). All I have to do is sew the zipper (my least favorite thing about sewing) and hem it.

I attempted to try it on this morning and it seems like it will fit really well. It's hard to tell exactly how it will lie since I had to hold the back together with one hand while modeling in the mirror. I don't look as chunky in it as I thought I would, which is good news for the wedding dress since it is cut very similarly (my mom is sewing it and is just getting started ... I gave her the option of using a Simplicity pattern instead of a Vogue one since I know my size in Simplicity and they're a little less fussy to put together. I'm not looking for anything too fancy, so I'm not worried yet about it not getting done in time). However, when my sisters are standing around me, I might rethink that not-so-chunky thing. They're all in much better shape than I am. Maybe my radiant bridal glow will even things out.

The only thing that worries me about the dress is that the bodice and skirt are lined but not the midriff piece that separates those two areas. Since the 'fashion fabric' is on the thin side, it makes the unlined part look like it's a slightly different color since my skin is not quite as white as the lining (pretty close though ... I'm pasty). When I tried the dress on I understood why it isn't lined in the midriff, since that's not a place you want to add bulk. Hopefully I'm the only one who notices this. I had to get pretty close to the mirror to definitely see the difference and make sure my eyes weren't playing tricks on me. I'm not too worried though. It's very fresh and summery and I think I look like a blushing bride in it.

In other news, my fiance's interview went well yesterday. The people he talked to (and it sounded like there were several 'rounds' of interviews) said they're currently hiring for jobs in Virginia, but they will look into what is available closer to where we lived.

However, as I said before, if the 'price is right' (and we decided last night what an acceptable 'price' is) he said he would still consider moving out there. Since I'm not really busy at work today, I looked at apartments in VA, and they seem to be on par with what we're paying now, but alot of them have income 'maximums' that we would surpass (although I don't understand how $1,000+ rent is considered 'affordable' for the relatively low maximums). Apartment hunting seems fun in theory, but then all those little annoyances resurface and it just becomes work.

Back to the interview. I always tell my fiance how cool it must be to write his resume because since he works with computers, he just has lines and lines of alphabet soup representing all the programs he knows how to use. I am limited to words like 'write' and 'edit.' There's not much more to it than that. And I don't feel comfortable using words like 'implement' and 'leverage' since that makes writing fluffy pieces for a community newspaper sound like so much more than it actually is.

So my fiance will probably hear back soon. I, on the other hand, will continue the job and apartment search.

No comments: