Tuesday, June 26, 2007

First run in forever

Today I went on my first run since going to the doctor about my various running ailments a few weeks ago.

I have no idea how far my runs are since I usually do them on trails and don't have any 'equipment' to measure the distance. I think the walks my fiance and I have been going on are between 2 and 2.5 miles, and I did one of those routes today.

I walked the first half and then ran back. Along the way I could feel my legs 'waking' up in the form of little aches and pains, first starting with the outside of my right foot and then going up to my knee. I guess that doesn't sound so great, but they all wore off within a couple minutes of appearing.

Right now I'm rolling my feet along a frozen water bottle as the doctor suggested doing immediately after I get back from a run. I also polished off a popsicle since I didn't go out until 9 and it's already pretty warm and humid out. I tried to drink plenty o' water before going out but I find that hard to do first thing in the morning. Maybe I'll take a partially filled water bottle with me next time. I'm not dying or anything, but I know it's going to take a long time for me to cool down, espeically with not having AC in either my apartment or car.

I'll probably make another attempt to do a yoga or pilates DVD tomorrow and then run again on Thursday if everything feels OK.

In wedding news, we started on favors yesterday. We went to JoAnn's and I think I went in the non-fabric section of the store for the first time yesterday despite my many visits. We were looking for containers to put candy in (and not the tiny little ones that fit one or two mints or coated almonds). Conveniently, they had all their summer picnicware on sale and we found plastic ice cream bowls in tropical colors, which fit the beach theme and also, some of the colors match the bridesmaids' dresses.

We also bought the obligatory tulle to cover them with after we fill them with (fun, not old lady) candy. I'll have to do some measuring to figure out how big to cut them. We're using colored rubber bands to secure the tulle, which will probably look a little tacky, but it's also the most convenient method we could think of (I just know ribbon won't hold and I don't want to go through that frustration).

I think the ice cream bowls are a good idea because most of the people coming know that's my weakness. And candy is just fun, although my dad said he wants to make sure he gets a room away from my young cousins, who no doubt will make use of their favors immediately.

That's all for now. I need to shower because I am dripping with sweat. I'll also probably try to send out a few more job applications before I go to work.

No comments: